Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Favorite Thing #6


The Sound of the Watkins screen door

This is a difficult post to write. I have been putting it off. It is impossible to describe the incredible gift it has been to share a house with my cousin Lee, his wife Laura, and their 3 incredible children. We have gotten 5 years of sharing life together and I think it is a little of what heaven will be like.

It hasn't always been perfect. We have conflicted. But that is part of what has made it so wonderful. I did not grow up with siblings so I did not have that relationship that provides some safe conflict. Laura has been that sister for me. We have learned how to be honest with each other, not hide our hurts, forgive each other, be gracious, and be angry. Laura has seen ugly sides of me that only family has seen and she still loves me.

We have shared all three pregnancies together (two in this house). When Grayson had colic and I thought I was going to loose my mind, she would take him and walk him around even though she also had a newborn. She would text me in the middle of the night knowing we were both up with the babies. When we would walk the neighborhood while pregnant, sit by the kiddie pool in the driveway, and pass the older kids between the houses.

The adult friendship we have with Lee and Laura has brought such joy to our days. They have been wonderful examples and models to us of patient parenting. They are available for all kinds of favors. They are instant friends if you want someone to walk with, build a fire in the backyard, watch a movie with, drink a beer with, share a meal with, pray with, etc.

The friendship among our kids is not comparable. This is when I have trouble typing. I have known my husband to cry only a handful of times in his lifetime. I'm not sure I've ever seen the tears fully come down his face until the last two weeks. All four of us have cried when we think about this loss for our kids.

Currently, Tyler and Casey are probably playing with each other on the school playground as they find each other almost everyday at recess. They ride the bus together and still want to spend everyday with each other after school. When Tyler has something exciting, the first person he wants to share it with is Casey. They share the same love of Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, Star Wars, Legos, Pokemons, Hero Factories, etc. They have plans to be inventors when they grow up and are always making crazy plans.

Any knowledge Annabelle has of girly things come from Abi and Emma. Her favorite person in the world is Auntie Laura. Grayson has such a soft spot for Uncle Lee and thinks he is the funniest person on earth. Abi Mae and I have a very special bond over all things fancy and special.

More than half the days of the week, our children are in each other's houses. Not only is it such a help to us, the kids love it. I don't know how I would have survived the last 5 years of young kids without them downstairs.

There is still so much more to be said. I don't feel like words can give ample explanation to the awesomeness that is sharing a house with the Watkins. I guess that is why I pick the sound of their front door. Its loud and The Landlord needs to oil it, proving they are very gracious to our limits. It opens frequently for the students they love on and neighbors they welcome. When it opens I am reminded of life outside of myself, that I am not alone, that there is always someone who loves me close by.

The Watkins family just left my mom's house tonight after sharing Christmas leftovers and showing off presents. It is just so normal to be together. The blessing is they are family and while our relationship changes it will never end. That is great comfort tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sad and precious and beautiful. Praying for both families tonight.

    ReplyDelete