Monday, December 5, 2011

Favorite Thing #2

MRH ECC

You have to read the above title in the same way you would say M-I-Z...Z-O-U because that is how I read those letters every time I think them. The preschoolers, Kindergarteners and First Graders make up the ECC and chant this at the Fun Run that takes place every year on Halloween.

The whole school walks over to the High School track and classes line up to run a 1/4 mile around the track and receive metals...even siblings get to run.

This is just one of the many activities the school does that promotes a sense of community. Tyler could tell you most of the 1st Graders names (in the whole school district). At events like the fun run, many parents come and I know most of them now.
I love this picture for many reasons. One, I love this rod iron gate. Its new. It reminds me of all the changes the school is making and I love the district for how intense they strive to be innovative and teach outside of the box. Second, I love this because Grayson all my kids feel so comfortable here. The school feels safe and we are free to come whenever we want.

We can play outside in the amazing, natural play space that has climbing structures made from wood, a bridge that crosses that waterfall and creek, three play houses, this list of cool things goes on and on.

We can go see the chickens or walk through the perennial garden or go see the vegetable garden.

One of Tyler's specials during the week is "Seed to Table" where the kids learn all about the garden, animals, chickens, and other sustainability related things all tied into academics. Local food is used in school lunches which are actually healthy.

When we moved to Maplewood, we had no idea we would stay to put our kids in the schools. We discovered quickly how strong the community is here and the strong families that are committed to its success.

I thought we would see all our kids graduate from MRH and reflect on all the stories of kids and families changed while we were here. God has different plans for our family now but I think his plan still continues here. He is moving in this community and I am thankful we were a part of it, even if just for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment