Monday, December 5, 2011

Favorite Thing #1


MRS. COUNTS

To say I was nervous about Tyler starting Kindergarten would be the understatement of the year. If you know me, I don't need to say anymore. For months before school started, Tyler and I would pray at night about his first teacher. We prayed that she would be "just the right teacher for HIM."

A couple of weeks before school started, this sweet woman with the strongest Southern accent came to our home to meet us all (all the teachers do home visits before the beginning of the year). I could tell right away that she was warm and would love on him in a motherly way.

MRH loops their teachers so kids have the same teacher for 2 years all the way through elementary (another reason the school district is awesome). In just this short time this woman has helped me discover my child. She knows him so well. Early on, she was pointing out to me how he needed routine, didn't like change, and liked to know what the plan was. I was so thankful she could see this in him but where God has used her in our life is to help me see that those traits of Tyler's are not a problem.

She sees that in him and honors it. She doesn't see it as a problem to fix, she is not afraid of, she even knows how to help him to be aware of it. One of the best ways she does this is with a fantastic sense of humor. She can joke with Tyler and help him to feel at ease and not be so hard on himself.

She sends me notes to let me know the character she sees in my son. She points out that he is kind, helpful to others, and thoughtful. She sees her job as a ministry to the children and she takes seriously the fact that she spends more time with these kids than we do.

At our parent-teacher conference this year in November she encouraged us about the move and how to support Tyler in a supernatural way. Brian and I sat there in tears without words to say (well, Brian was teary...I was sobbing) as we both were in awe of how she knew Tyler so well and admonished us with specific ways to help him with this transition and words of faith in Tyler and in God.

"He is strong," she said. "I know he puts on the shy act at first and he is going to be very scared but he can do it. He is so strong and he is going to thrive. Any teacher is going to be so excited to have him."

At the school concert last Thursday, Grayson ran up to "Mrs. Cow--ents" as he calls her, and tackled her. She welcomed him and proceeded to tickle him and Annabelle, picking them up, flipping them over for 10 minutes. As we left she called out, "Bye Miss Annabelle (in her sweet Southern accent that Annabelle's name was meant to sound like), Bye my little man (to Grayson) I love you, Bye my big man (to Tyler) I LOVE you!"

Mrs. Counts, we LOVE you! I am heartbroken that Grayson and Annabelle won't get to have you as their Kindergarten and First Grade teacher too. But, ohhh, am I so thankful that Tyler did. He is a more confident child because of your love, challenge and faith.

Thank You.

And Thank You God for hearing my prayer. I so often forget that you are good. You knew who Tyler needed and you know who he needs now. You will not abandon us. Prepare a place for him in Grand Ridge Elementary.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, that is SO sweet. I consider my oldest (who's 9) shy and timid, and just this year we moved her to a new school. I was WORRIED about it, because she fit in so well at her old school--but it turns out this was the BEST move we ever made. She is so much more resilient and strong than I give her credit for, and it is amazing (for both of us) to see her do so well and grow in confidence,in a situation that seemed so...overwhelming. I'm so thankful that I had the opportunity this year to see what she will do with uncertainty, and I know that's what Seattle holds for you and it will be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete