Saturday, December 10, 2011

Favorite Thing #3


The Farells

Last night we went to Joe and Carol Farells house for Ribs. My children know the Farells as the house with the Ribs. This started from a night two summers ago when we sat out on the Farells' gorgeous back patio and my kids put down an impressive amount of ribs. We were all a little amazed.

We have known the Farells since we started at Riverside Church 10 years ago. I taught the preschool Sunday class with them every Sunday for a couple of years. We co-led a house group with them for a couple of years. Joe and Brian have served together as Elders of our church for over six years, Carol and I used to be in a morning Bible study together, and Brian and Carol served closely on the pastoral search committee together. We are just a few years older than their kids but we view them as great friends.

When you first meet Joe, with his deep ominous voice, you might get the impression he is this big tough guy with a hard shell. He is really just a big softy. He always greets me with a "hi sweetie," bear hug, and often a kiss on the head.

Carol has the gift of organization, hospitality, service and humor. When we were in Bible study together, we laughed at her discomfort with questions that dug deep in the heart and now she will walk boldly into conflict or discomfort if it will bring God glory and show someone love. About three years ago I sat down next to Carol at a Women's Retreat and she could tell that I was not myself, I was at a low point. Something happened in Carol's heart and it was as if she just made a decision that it was her job to care for me.

I distinctly remember that time because, since then, I have never felt so pursued by someone as I have by Carol. When our family entered into the GAPS protocol, therefore restricting our diets and increasing the amount of time in the kitchen by 6 times, she walked closely beside us. She cooked for us monthly, researched new recipes and adapted them for us, and helped others figure out how to cook for us.

One day at Church, she came up and declared that she wanted my children to really know her. She made up her mind that she would make sure my kids knew her and felt safe with her. She and Joe then started having us over for dinner once a month. This was so huge at the time because most people were so afraid of our restricted diet that we were rarely invited for dinner.

Very quickly, my kids began to look forward to nights at the Farells'...we all did. It is easy to feel treated in their home. Last night was no exception. The fire was burning high, Christmas music was playing, we had wine poured for us before we sat at the kitchen bar, the kids had games and blocks spread out on the kitchen floor, and we all felt at home.

As we sat at the table finishing our meal, Tyler asks Mr. Farell if he can sit in his lap. Brian and I look at each other, a little surprised that Tyler would be that affectionate. Joe, is delighted and then Tyler asks if he'll cuddle with him. The big teddy bear cries. We all do. Tyler understands this is the last time we will be at their house. I understand what it means for kids to be known and pursued by adults other than their family. They feel welcomed, safe, and loved.

Thank you Joe and Carol. Thank you for realizing the power, influence and impact you can have in other's lives. Thank you for deciding to love and pursue our family. My kids will have a greater chance of believing that they are valuable, worthy, and special because they have been viewed that way by you.

We love you!






2 comments: