Sunday, November 6, 2011

Bedtime prayers

Tyler started talking about what he wants for his birthday party. This is a common topic of conversation that the boys like to bring up often. This is the first time he has thought of it since realizing we are moving. He started talking about a video game party where all his friends can bring their own gaming systems and they can all play video games all night. He intereuppted himself as he realized he would not be here with his current friends when his birthday comes around in June.

His face fell, "Oh" he said. "I forgot."

"You know what, TYler? I have a prediction. I predict that you will have at least one good friend that you can invite to a video game party for your birthday."

"I hope so."

As I tucked the kids in bed, Tyler communicated his fears again about making friends. "I hope I really have one friend by my birthday."

"Let's pray about it, " I responded.

He prayed that God would give him a good teacher that wasn't mean and that he would have a good friend to play video games with. He then said if he doesn't he hopes he will be okay and will be happy to play video games with Daddy.

Wow! My prayers don't even sound that mature. He prays honestly for what he wants but is quick to add that God would help him be content if his expectations aren't met. Lord, help me to lay my expectations before you and be okay if they are not met.

I moved over to Grayson's bed. He asked if we could pray just like Tyler. He wanted to pray quietly in his head. When he was done I asked what his prayer was and I could hardly keep my laughter in.

"I prayed that I would have a birthday party and that if there were two bad guys there that were not my friends and then one of them punched me in the face and then the other punched me in my face, that I would walk away."

He is such a riot!

When Brian tucked Tyler into bed. Ty asked him if he would play video games on his birthday if Tyler didn't have any friends yet. Brian responded that they could play video games the whole night.

"The whole night?! I hope I don't have any friends by my birthday...well, actually I do."


We all do!

1 comment:

  1. Tyler has a sweet spirit. We will be praying for you as you embark on this new adventure....

    ReplyDelete